Saturday 2 April 2016

Rae reads... The Trouble With Emma by Katie Oliver

The Trouble With Emma by Katie Oliver

Emma loves to play matchmaker, her friend and assistant is surely the perfect person to set up. With her family home falling into disrepair Emma asks for help from popular TV show Mind Your Manors. Is it all going to end in disaster and will meeting Mark help her to change her ways.


As a fan of Jane Austen this book sounded perfect for me, the book uses various names of characters from Austens books. However they are from multiple books so not just characters from Emma. I thought this was really fun even more so if you like Jane Austen. I found myself immersed in the story really quickly and the plot was easy to understand. This is the second book in a series but I didn't find this to be an issue. Characters from the first book are included in this story but I don't think you necessarily have to read the first book before this one. Although I think I will at some point read What Would Lizzy Bennet Do just because I would love to read more of Katie Olivers books.

The character of Emma was interesting just like in Jane Austens Emma, she is not the most likeable as she has her faults. However there is something about her that draws me in and I could never hate the character. The minor characters all work well together and I liked Mark even though he isn't perfect either. The interactions between Emma and Mark were great to read especially at the start when they first meet.

Overall I really enjoyed this book it was a really interesting take on the novel Emma. There were enough differences between the two books to make this book stand out. Perfect reading for a lazy weekend!

Four stars from me.

Thank you to Carina UK and Netgalley for my copy to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment